Thursday, February 10, 2011

Disease

Disease
Everybody knows what a disease is – right? I always thought that when
somebody said the word “disease” they meant something like cancer, diabetes or
something along those lines. I have to admit that I was in my forties before I
found out what the word “disease” really meant and I learned it in college in a
medical terminology course. Even Webster’s has the proper definition. Let’s
look:
1
obsolete : TROUBLE
2
parts that impairs normal functioning : SICKNESS, MALADY
: a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its
3
: a harmful development (as in a social institution)
So there you have it. The word “disease” is really two words: “dis” meaning not
and “ease” meaning the state of being comfortable or to be free of pain or
discomfort. So you can see that anything that makes us uncomfortable or not at
ease is really a disease. It could be the lack of finances, embarrassment or
difficulty with a spouse, child, friend, parent or whoever. It could also be a
sickness such as cancer. You might not have a sickness like cancer but, you might
still have a disease.
You might be thinking that this is a silly point I’m making, but I don’t think
so or I wouldn’t be bringing it up. This is something that I do believe: that there is
a cure for all disease, both sickness and discomfort alike. One only has to be
willing to find it because, for the most part, people make a living off of other
people’s diseases so there’s an interest in maintaining the status quo.